CHICAGO – A major collection drive is underway in the city and suburbs to equip thousands of Chicago-area children for the winter.
Volunteers in Logan Square and other locations began the big task of collecting and sorting piles of winter gear for Cradles to Crayons on Monday.
“We need coats, we need boots, we need warm sweaters and warm clothes. We’re pretty weak on these items and we know it’s cold outside and the families we serve will desperately have them. need, ”said Shoshana Buchholz-Miller, Executive Director of Cradles to Crayons Chicago.
DOWNLOAD THE FOX 32 CHICAGO APP FOR NEWS ALERTS
Cradles to Crayons aims to equip more than 54,000 children for winter with its “Gear Up for Winter” campaign. This is in addition to the 120,000 children that the non-profit association has already served this school year.
“The demand we have has skyrocketed since the pre-pandemic times. Our demand for diapers, for example, increased 300% last year and we served almost double the children we had in the year. previous, before the pandemic and we haven’t really seen that kind of need go away, ”Buchholz-Miller said.
So Buchholz-Miller is asking families to clean their closets and then donate all those jackets, boots and sweaters that your kids have grown up with but are still in good shape.
“We know that if kids don’t have proper outerwear like coats and boots, they don’t go to school, so they’re missing out on that learning time, that engagement with their peers, that. social time and they don’t play outside and that is also very important for their mental health, ”explained Buchholz-Miller.
SIGN UP FOR FOX 32 NEWS EMAIL UPDATES
There are 22 drop-off points in the city and suburbs to donate new or lightly used winter gear this week.
- Buffalo Grove: Bank of America – 1300 North Arlington Heights Road
- Deerfield: Sachs Recreation Center – 455 Lake Cook Road
- Evanston: Little Beans Café-Evanston – 430 Asbury Avenue
- Glenview: Kohl Children’s Museum – 2100 Patriot Boulevard
- Highwood: Highwood Public Library – 102 Highwood Avenue
- Lincoln Park: Reebie Storage and Moving Co. – 2325 North Clark Street # 300
- Lincoln Square: Timeless Toys – 4749 North Lincoln Avenue
- Logan Square: The Giving Factory – 4141 West George Street
- Logan Square: Tula Yoga Studio – 2827 West Belden Avenue
- Logan Square: Windy City Fieldhouse – 2367 West Logan Boulevard
- Naperville: Bank of America – 1301 East Ogden Avenue
- Oak Forest: Acorn Public Library – 15624 Central Avenue
- Oak Lawn: Oak Lawn Park District Community Hall – 9401 Oak Park Avenue
- Oak Park: Oak Park Public Library – 834 Lake Street
- Ravenswood: Mathnasium Ravenswood – 1754 Wilson Avenue West
- Ravenswood: Sulzer Regional Library – 4455 North Lincoln Avenue
- River North: East Bank Storage – reception – 429 West Ohio Street
- Roscoe Village: Kangaroo Kids – 4161 North Damen Avenue
- Sheridan Park: Cloud and Bunny – 1600 West Montrose Avenue
- South Side of Chicago: South Side YMCA – 6330 South Stony Island Avenue
- Wicker Park: The Children’s Table – 2337 West North Avenue