Entergy power outages:
- St. James Parish – Estimated restoration date: September 17
- Number of cuts from 12 noon: 9,931 – 100% of customers remain without electricity
- Percentage of completed damage assessments: 64%
- Notes on the region: Although the estimated restoration date is September 17, we plan to start supplying essential facilities and other social infrastructure in the parish well before this date (hospital, grocery stores). We plan to continue on this path as we expand to residential areas and restore power to the parish.
- Damage assessments (including St. James Parish and St. John Parish) reported 1,415 broken poles, 1,557 cable spans and 243 transformers damaged. The assessment is expected to be 100% complete by Saturday September 4th.
- Parish authorities are working to provide accommodation for Entergy teams, including housing to allow Entergy staff to stay nearby.
- Shell Convent has coordinated with the parish to build a camp of 300 to 500 people to house all of the Entergy teams while they continue to work in St. James Parish.
- All parish roads are open.
- Residential Waste Management collection has been suspended. However, they opened two public drop-off points this morning at 9 a.m. The drop-off points will operate every day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- West Bank Reception Hall | 2455 Route 18, Vacherie
- Gramercy Town Hall | 120 avenue N. Montz, Gramercy
- For the moment, parish landfills remain open to collect household waste from our residents. The daily hours are from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Storm Debris Collection:
- State contractors began picking up debris along state highways on Saturday, September 4, 2021. Parish contractors will begin picking up debris on Tuesday, September 7, 2021.
- Debris must be classified by type in order to be picked up. [Normal Household Trash, Vegetative Debris, Construction and Demolition Debris, Appliances, Electronics & Household Hazardous Waste.]
- Absolutely NO garbage or bagged debris will be picked up.
- Residents are urged not to stack debris near AT&T boxes, gas meters, water meters or fire hydrants to avoid damage when debris pickup begins.
- Between the parish teams and the assistants of the sheriff’s office, more than 5,000 tarpaulins were distributed from door to door. It is estimated that the hand-delivered tarpaulins were sufficient for nearly half of the households in the parish.
- Door-to-door tarpaulin distribution continues throughout the weekend.
- In addition, tarpaulins are distributed to POD locations.
Shelter operations and human services:
- The parish shelter will be transferred to the Red Cross shelter in Lamar Dixon by the end of the day on Saturday, September 4, 2021.
- Parish staff will help shelter Lamar Dixon.
- Ward-wide boil water advisory until water is restored.
Citizen Service Center (225-331-8187)
- Open every day from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. except Saturday which will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The CSC will be closed on Sunday and all calls can be directed to our dispatchers at 225-562-2200.
- We have several groups of volunteers who will be in the parish in the coming days to help residents cut tree branches and clean up storms.
- The Church of Latter-day Saints has set up a crisis cleanup line where residents can call 844-965-1386 to place a work order for assistance.
- We have teams of volunteers starting to deploy today to help clean up the parish.
- Group of blue grass
Oxygen cylinder exchange
- Residents can call 225-562-2364 to have their oxygen cylinder exchanged.
- The bottles will be exchanged at the Emergency Operations Center located at 5153, rue Canatella, Convent 70723
- In order to get a new bottle, residents must bring an empty one.
Sheriff’s Office Updates:
- Reminder: A curfew remains in place and will be strictly enforced between the hours of 7 p.m. and 5 a.m.
Updates from St. James Parish Hospital
- Communications have improved in the hospital
- The hospital will be opening a walk-in family medicine clinic on Labor Day.
- St. James Emergency Care is closed until further notice in order to reallocate resources to our emergency department.
Open critical services [Fuel, Groceries, Food, Supplies, Pharmacies]
- Matherne Supermarket – 7 a.m. – 6.30 p.m. – cash only
- Véron supermarket – 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- China King – 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. (cash only)
- Home Hardware Center – 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Belmont Lumber – 7 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (closed between 12 p.m. and 1 a.m.)
- Blues Grocery – 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – cash only (Monday to Saturday)
- The Golden Grove
- Superstop – closes at 7 p.m. (cash only)
- Jubilee gas station – closes at 7 p.m. (cash only)
- Pop-in-Go # 11 Vacherie – closes at 6:45 p.m.
- Sunshine Plaza – 24h schedule
- Coquille à Gramercy – 6 p.m.
- Tompkins Pharmacy 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. day by day
- Winn Dixie Pharmacy – plans to open by Tuesday 9/7
** We are working to update a full list of open businesses – if you know of any, please contact the PIO at 225-264-3309 or by email at [email protected]
- We understand that communications are EXTREMELY limited with ongoing cellular service disruptions. Please know that the government of St. James Parish is doing absolutely everything possible to convey messages to residents.
- If you have not signed up for emergency alerts, please call our Citizen Service Center at 225-331-8187 and someone will help you register.
- If you have internet service, please visit our website home page at www.stjamesla.com where a link is displayed to the home page for registration.
- All information is posted on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, parish website, sent by SMS.
- Parish officials also distributed flyers and information at POD sites, grocery stores and throughout the community.
- Be aware that information is updated daily as new information becomes available.