Bathroom fans can cause fires

0

The Monroe Fire Department is sounding the alarm that bathroom and attic fires are caused by exhaust fans that are not properly maintained.

Officials say the fans should be cleaned every six months because they can collect lint and dust and cause a fire.

They say most fans should last 9-12 years and then need to be replaced.

Some warning signs that this time has come are noises when the fan is running and a smell of something burning.

Here are some other warning signs and the best cleanse:

  • To clean your exhaust fan, it is necessary to remove the vent cover with the electricity off and vacuum or wipe with a damp soapy cloth any collection of debris. Compressed air can even be used to clean this area. Always let the fan dry completely before using it again after cleaning.
  • Poor ventilation due to dust and lint buildup in the fan itself can cause the motor to overheat.
  • Sometimes you’ll see signs that it’s time to have your bathroom exhaust fan replaced by an electrician.

To ensure a safe and durable exhaust fan.

  • Make sure the ducts also attached to the fan vent are free of dust and lint.
  • Use only LED lighting attached to a fan with lighting. This will keep the fan cooler and reduce the electrical load on the fan.
  • Consider attaching a timer to your fan’s switch. Most fires are caused by overheating of the fan motor. Fan motors should not be used for more than 20 minutes at a time.
  • Mark your calendar to inspect your exhaust fans twice a year.
Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.